Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Semester's End

It does not cease to amaze me how faithful God is blessing those who need Him most, such as your truly. Take, for instance, last Sabbath. My plan was to produce two manuscripts for the Easter series, Friday's and at least half of each of the following days. Well, I never got to the second set, so I went to bed tired and with a prayer: Lord wake me up at the time you know I need to prepare tomorrow morning's sermon.

Typically, this is not a good situation--preparing sermons the morning you preach them. Yet, that was my situation. At 3:30, God said, "it's time," and I went to the other room to work. One of my sources was a very good sermon (if I may say so myself) I had preached 12 years ago in So New England: What's the Big Deal About Shabbath? This morning, I was trying to answer the question: Why did Jesus rest in the Tomb (on Sabbath). Well, to make a long story short, it impressed even me.

A number of lifelong members commented that they'd never heard anything on the Sabbath so fresh, relevant, and compelling. What it did, is make believers in NET 11 out of a number who'd stayed on the margins to date. And, yes, somehow, in four and half hours, that Sabbath afternoon, while holed up in a baptistry changing room away from everybody, out came the next 11-page manuscript for the evening service. My intention is not to say "look what I did," but to say "look what He did with what I gave Him." God is simply amazing!

The meetings were blessed, but the attendance at the church concerns me in no small measure. If we have this trend continues, the live broadcasts won't be successful. We easily need 300 more people committed to simply showing up.

-----

Lisa and I came home yesterday afternoon, and I gave two finals today. I stayed for quite some time talking with students at the end of each period. And I prayed with a couple. I've had the privilege of teaching some great people this semester. God truly blessed. I made considerable adjustments to the Field Evangelistic Preaching course, and that clearly improved it. Students even clapped at the end of the last period. Last year, the story was quite different. Now, we have to finish grading projects and exams. I must turn grades before I leave next Monday.

As I recall, this is the first time in four years I'm in town for a May graduation. It will be a nice experience, and a good excuse to put on that doctoral garb we otherwise use so seldom. Over the last 18 years of teaching undergrad and grad students, I've seen some excellent talent come out of various educational halls. I've also come to know beautifully consecrated men and women of God whom He is bound to use for His glory. There are always some memorable classes, mostly because a group of people happen to confluence that really leave their mark. Education is a very worthy profession, even if I may not be able to give my best to it. I'm always surprised to see the impact made on certain students, impact that becomes a turning point in their lives. God uses us in spite of ourselves.

Next week is the big one. The Creation-Evolution is on. I have thought about sharing on this blog some of the serious trouble we've encountered on various fronts over the last few weeks. But it will give more glory to the devil I intend to give him. One thing I know, we must remain faithful, doing what God is giving us the opportunity to do, and then see Him at work. His undoing of the devil's schemes is something to behold.

Don't forget to pray for these meetings.  Pray for

1.  Tim and I to finalize the best content possible
2.  Good support from the SDA membership
3.  An encouraging turn out from the guests
4.  God to do something special for people during this time

"Your commandments make me wiser than my enemies,
For they are ever mine.
I have more insight than all my teachers,
For Your testimonies are my meditation."

Psalm 119: 98, 99

No comments:

Post a Comment