Saturday, April 2, 2011

Creation and Creativity

What I love about life is seeing a plan come together. That is, seeing a God-size project work out where the whole is much bigger than the sum of its parts. This NET 2011 plan is much bigger than I or even those composing the planning committee.

Take, for instance, Creation. My last class in biology or physics was in high school, almost 40 years ago (I know, I only look young). And because I did that overseas, where high school education is stronger than at typical US schools, they waved all my science requirements once I got in college in California. In those days, however, I was a social rather than a real student. You know, one of those focused on friends, but with enough gray cells to pass with decent grades without learning much.

My point is that I'm in trouble trying to prepare for a series of nationwide lectures on TV about creation and evolution. It's like going to school once again, except this time I just love it. Cosmology, biology, geology, physics, what fascinating subjects they all are! Even though there are years of learning to process in just weeks, I wouldn't trade it for anything--except the assurance Tim (Standish, my co-presenter) and I will be ready. I've been reading fascinating books, and some not-so-easy textbooks. I've been watching magnificent DVDs such as the ones put out by Illustra Media. I recognize that I'd better let Tim, a molecular biologist researching at the Geoscience Research Institute, talk the science, but I can't wait to pitch in.

The truth is I've come to realize not too many years ago that my role in this world is to be an interpreter. Preachers must interpret the Bible to help listeners understand God better. Teachers must interpret data and make that palatable enough for students so they want to know more or perform better. Writers interpret reality and articulate it so readers make sense of their own world. What a joy and privilege to be about the business of interpreting the God of the Universe! And this series explores what God has done and is doing, revealing such amazing examples of His wisdom, foreknowledge, and care, that I for once, would want to find my seat on the front row.

But this business is dangerous. Interpreters are only a hair's breath from mis-interpreting. The safest thing would be to avoid it all together. And scores of people in the world do exactly that: "I'd rather not do something than make mistakes doing it." I would agree this is probably the best course of action about inconsequential or secondary things or even personal wants. But when it comes to something that really matters--and Creation, with its implications on the nature and the love of God, the Sabbath, the end of time, really matters--perhaps caution should not be the rule of the day, and casting ourselves in faith at the feet of Jesus for wisdom and ability, maybe the ticket to ride.

A hundred other speakers and a thousand other faithful can do better what, by the grace of God, I and others are trying to accomplish with this NET. But it is us who have the chance to do something big for God. And our prayer is that God may show himself strong in spite--and specially because--of our weakness and inadequacies.

Please pray for In the Beginning: Making Sense of the Creation-Evolution Debate. We have to accomplish in mere days what normally takes months to do well. Tim and I have committed to present an initial version of the mini-series at the Beaumont Church in Southern California, April 14-17, and we are not ready yet. I have been so busy with getting all the pieces needed for the Early Bird churches (just over 500 by the April 1 deadline--including equipping DVDs, manual, other resources, and the books on the Holy Spirit), plus other major training events (like the evangelism rally) and organizational needs, and article deadlines, aside from Seminary teaching responsibilities, etc., that this prep has really suffered. And to top it off, my graphic designer has been in Europe. It will take a miracle to do in eight days what three months may not be enough. But God, I believe, will be with us and the program. And this will be even more clearly demonstrated if you join me in prayer.

Today was the first of the fasting and prayer Sabbaths recommended by the GC's new initiative on Revival and Reformation. It had been a while since I last fasted. I used to do this regularly when pastoring in California. And I had forgetten the joy and the confidence in God that come with focusing exclusively on His will and power on our behalf. So, pray. Pray and fast, if you must. If you do it with the purpose of seeing God revealed in your life, He will not disappoint.

All this scientific reading and learning about Creation, along with deep reflection on the book of Genesis have led me to a renewed conviction that we serve a very big and wonderful God. One who created us for His glory, and for the everlasting joy of every creature. I cannot be silent about this. We shouldn't be silent about this.

"The heavens are telling of the glory of God;
And their expanse is declaring the work of His hands.
Day to day pours forth speech,
And night to night reveals knowldge.
There is no speech, nor are there words;
Their voice is not heard.
[Yet] Their sound has gone out through all the earth,
And their uttenrances to the end of the world."

Psalm 19:1-4


2 comments:

  1. I pledge to support you in prayer as you prepare for this major event on a crucial topic. Our church will host this as a community event.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would highly recommend Mr, Benjamin services to any person in need financial help and they will keep you on top of high directories for any further needs. Once again I commend yourself and your staff for extraordinary service and customer service, as this is a great asset to your company and a pleasant experience to customers such as myself. Wishing you all the best for the future.Mr, Benjamin is best way to get an easy loan,here is there email.. / 247officedept@gmail.com     Or talk to Mr Benjamin On WhatsApp Via_+1-989-394-3740 Thank You for helping me with loan once again in my sincerely heart I'm forever grateful.

    ReplyDelete