Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Survival of the Unfitted

The Creation-Evolution mini-series is over (I've been so busy, I couldn't write for this blog!), and a certain chagrin hangs over my soul. I supposed we worked so hard on the series--mistakes and imperfections not withstanding--that it's a bit like losing a loved one you've known for a long time.

But let's review. Working with Tim Standish, GRI biologist and co-presenter, has been a real pleasure, as well as with Matt Lucio, my graphic designer, who can work under pressure. Russell Burrill, my right-hand man and NET 11 coordinator, has also been a blessing. And Lisa, my wife, continues to be long-suffering with her busy husband. God has blessed our efforts, though I'm fully (and somewhat painfully) aware of the things that should have been better. This is a first in the Adventist Church, and we can draw a few conclusions:

  • There is a lot of interest out there on this subject, and meetings like these reach a demographic not reached before by the church: smart, thinking, mostly well educated people. I spent each night talking with some of them--beautiful people.
  • At least in Nashville, three fourths of the non-SDA guests that came had a Christian background, along with a science background. One fourth were secular people with little or no Bible background.
  • In general, the guests were thrilled about what they heard, and many members were also quite excited.
  • We probably should hold back before live audiences the fact this is on TV or Internet; it's too easy to stay home the next night.
  • Outreach continues to be hard to do, perhaps increasingly so, in Adventist churches. Most members simply do not reach out to others. In general, we are a seriously Laodicean church exempted only by a very small minority of faithful members whose lives belie Jesus is first in their lives.
  • When it comes to outreach, process is important. Little by little, more members are tuning in to what we're doing, and more guests are finding out about Adventist offerings to the community.
Since last November, this NET 11 journey has been the survival of the unfitted. First, putting budget and planning team together and getting appropriate administration approval. Second, developing equipping and promotional calendars plus materials for the churches' Early Bird packages. Third, writing and getting published Adventism's Greatest Need. Fourth, planning and broadcasting Jesus in Your Church. Fifth, fundraising over $135,000 for NET 11. Sixth, writing the NET 11 Manual plus conceiving a number of other equipping pieces. Seventh, preparing and broadcasting In the Beginning. All this in addition to full-time teaching responsibilities at the Seminary. 

I look at this and wonder, not at my ability to accomplish it all, but at God's willingness to work with such a frail vessel and trust him with so much. At every juncture we've made mistakes, and yet, they seem rather inconsequential compared to the gains for the sake of the gospel.

So, here we are, only four and a half months from Prophecies Decoded's opening night, and here is a new list of prayer requests--seven, for good measure:

  1. For the 575 churches so far engaged in NET 11 to not lose track of new friends made over this past weekend, and for them to maximize every opportunity for outreach this summer;
  2. For pastors to carefully read the NET 11 Manual so they can be better prepared for what's coming;
  3. For my research and writing of the book on prophecy, the gift book churches are to use for opening night. Unlike the previous book, I'll need to do more research for it, and only have a few weeks to do it;
  4. For God to bless my summer travel--camp meetings, training events--and even open a door for what I consider a needed trip to Rome on behalf of the upcoming meetings;
  5. For more donors to have a burden to give to NET 11--we need financial help;
  6. For the Holy Spirit to use Adventism's Greatest Need to awaken dormant churches and people; and
  7. For my health (I know many have had this burden--thank you), especially my spiritual health.
I don't know if I'll ever have the privilege to meet most or all the NET 11 prayer warriors, but that would be an enormous treat for me. I want to thank you, from the bottom of my heart, for your dedication to this cause. I am absolutely sure we could be nowhere where we are today without the faithful and faith-filled prayers that each of you offer. To God be the glory!

God bless you more than you can imagine.

"I thank my God in all my remembrance of you, always offering prayer with joy in my every prayer for you all, in view of your participation in the gospel from the first day until now."

Philippians 1:3-5

No comments:

Post a Comment