Saturday, July 23, 2011

Alaska

Lisa and I went to Alaska last week for camp meeting. It's not like we drove there or anything. The flights alone took close to seven hours--just flight time. I had only been at the Anchorage airport once before, by mistake. On a flight to Seoul, Korea, about three years ago, one of the first-class passengers had a bit too much to drink, got belligerent, and we had to detour to Alaska so the police could take care of him.

Alaska is big. I mean really big. I you were to overlay the state in the middle of the lower 48, the top of it would be in Chicago, the bottom in the tip of southern Texas, the peninsula strip where Juneau is reach close to Florida, and the Aleutian Islands in the East reach all the way to California. Everyone packs a gun there and most a rifle to boot, even church members, even church pastors. There are more private little planes registered than private cars.

We enjoyed our visit very much. Even though I spoke nine times--nine times!--we had the chance to ride a boat and see one of the hundreds of glaciers, check out a gorgeous mountain pass, visit the national park for Mount McKinley, the tallest mountain in North America (over 20,000 ft high), and even be given a private fly-over the camp region, including lakes, mountains, and or course, another glacier.

God blessed enormously there. This is the sixth and last camp meeting this summer, but the only one where all the presentations were on the Holy Spirit. Maybe we can go back someday, but with more time. This really is God's country--the myriads of wild animals often seen, the lakes, the mountains, the scarcity of people. A great place to contemplate and think.

I'm headed to fulfill a commitment in Brisbane, Australia on Wednesday. When made last year, I was sure I'd be done writing this current book. But it is not so, and no trip can come at a most inconvenient time. I only have chapter one done, and four days to write the rest :-(

If that actually happens, it'll be hard for me to think of a more amazing miracle in my life in many years.

Thank you for praying.

No comments:

Post a Comment