Saturday, June 11, 2011

The Second Book

Writing a book is a real challenge, I imagine, even to those who write books. For the rest of us, it can be overwhelming. I'm getting there fast these days.

Several times I have thought about how amazing it was to end up writing the book on the Holy Spirit last December and January in such a short time. I gave it my best, and I believe the content has the potential of really changing people's lives, if read carefully, prayerfully, and with others of like mind. But there is a major difference between that one and this one: I had been living with the contents of the subject of the Holy Spirit for years already. I just needed to write it.

The present challenge, however, could undo me. The book is meant to be a primer on how to study Bible prophecy. It is intended to be the gift book for opening night or the first night people come to the NET prophecy meetings. It is a needed little tome because nothing is available from our presses to date that fits the bill. Now, I figured since this would be at least half the size of the other one, that a few weeks (the only ones I have to work on it!) would suffice. Alas! How wrong was I!

The biggest obstacle has been the fact I'm not an expert on the subject, and neither have I lived with the subject for the last decade plus, such as it was in the case of the previous book. That means I've had to amass any number of books by the real experts on the subject, but since what I have in mind is rather unique, I have found no true models to pattern any type of writing after.

The second challenge is the actual format and flow. I have key subjects in mind, for instance, the need for a Christ-centered hermeneutics (interpretation), dealing with Matthew 24 as a template for other prophetic portions, and the necessity of chipping away at that most noxious of theologies--Dispensationalism--which has been the bane of so many otherwise sincere Bible students. But exactly what to say and how to say those things has proved very tough.

The scary challenge is the fact that time moves on unabated. The last two weeks have been the most clearly dedicated to book-writing and yet the progress has been, quite frankly, dismal. Next week, I begin camp meeting travels again (PA, WI, AZ), and by the time I return my writing should be done. Well, I have barely began.

I guess I'm opening my heart here, in case someone is willing to be a strong prayer partner with me on this great challenge. You see, other NET issues don't wait, they don't stop until I get this book written. Phone call after phone call, e-mail after e-mail, project after project keep demanding my daily time, and this is after much of it has been filtered by my able coordinator, Russell, and preciously willing NADEI staff. In other words, these are the MUST things I need to deal with.

This is not about the loss of face if I don't get the book written, it is much more about the loss of a clearly God-given opportunity, a door He Himself has opened, for potentially thousands of Bible students to benefit from a little help deciphering how to study Bible prophecy. And that is really the issue.

More than once, I have concluded this entire NET 11 project is larger than what someone like me should have tackled, and yet, I have, and others have, also concluded that God has not left us nor forsaken us, but that He has given us multiple evidences He is still in control. God is in this!

Please pray for me over the next 30 days. Please pray, first of all, that my heart be surrendered to God each and every day, so that my great desire would be to honor Him and love Him above anything else in the world. Pray, secondly, that the Holy Spirit may illumine my mind in ways unknown before, that a real miracle may take place in my mind. That thought and text and concept may come together as only God can make it possible. And last, pray, as Joshua prayed in chapter 10 of his book, that time may stand still, as it were. That, somehow, this can be accomplished in time to be published, and thus be of help to the NET churches that wish to use it as a necessary resource.

This blog should not be understood as fodder for discouragement. This is my cry for help before the Lord, and I fully believe, all things are possible with Jesus Christ, my Lord and Savior.

"Now to Him who is able to do exceeding abundantly beyond all that we ask or think,
according to the power that works within us,
to Him be the glory in the church and in Christ Jesus
to all generations forever and ever. Amen."

Ephesians 3:20, 21


1 comment:

  1. sadly, I am just now becoming aware of this blog and therefore was unable to pray for and with you as you wrote this book. However, I do feel confident that God did work a miracle and that the book made it to press in time. I will pray for the upcoming Prophecy Decoded meetings and I greatly look forward to hearing the messages that God gives you. I have family in the Madison area that have long ago left the faith and I am hoping that some miracle God will bring them to these meetings. Blessings to you.

    ReplyDelete