Friday, February 4, 2011

The Book

Over the last few weeks, my life has been in the basement. That's where I've been writing Adventism's Greatest Need: The Outpouring of the Spirit. I'm actually, literally, about six pages from the end (about 200 total pages--should be done Sunday), but Pacific Press, in the meantime, has been trying to get done as much as possible. They've already created a cover and the copy for the back page, settled on the title, worked on a promotional plan, etc. On Monday, I'm scheduled to tape a couple of devotional and promotional segments they can use around the country to promote the book.

All this is a bit sobering, if truth be told. I have a lot of books in my library and have read many of them, so I know about books. But this is my first real book written for the general public. It is scary because it appears there is considerable enthusiasm from the publishers and some of the readers I've sent chapters to about the book--about a book not yet finished, let alone one anyone has even read! What if it is not any good? I feel quite reassured I've done as well as expected with the time I've had, but the subject is so worthwhile that I can't help think it deserves a lot more attention and care.

Oh, well. As my relative from Spain, NT scholar and author, Roberto Badenas, says: "When you write a book, you either finish it, or it finishes you." There is only so much time, and then there is none left.

My hope and prayer is that is will be a blessing to as many people as possible, a tool which the Holy Spirit can use to awaken people, lead them to their knees, and cry out for more of God they ever thought possible before. My hope also is that whatever theological imbalance or inaccuracy it may contain, that it will be minimal and inconsequential. None of us are free from making mistakes, even if sincere and well-meaning. What you don't want is to give the devil an opportunity.

We've promised churches that sign up early for the NET quantities of the book, so they can study it with small groups or with friends or as leaders get together. It would be nice if it went somewhat viral, though I know only great, timely books have that type of a chance.

Anyway, thanks to those who've prayed for me and this adventure over the last few weeks. Pray that

1.  The editing and book publishing schedule may not run into any delays (we still hope to make this available by the end of March), and that the editors can catch as many glitches as possible; that

2.  Many more churches may join the 203 which have signed up to date, so they can be part of a process, not simply an event; that

3.  The Spirit of God may bring conviction to the vast central area of the United States, for pastors and churches from there to sign up (one reason is we have loved ones in that area); that

4.  3ABN reconsider their decision to not run the series, and instead decide to broadcast the three programs--Creation, Archaeology, and Prophecy--along with Hope TV, so we may give many more people the opportunity to hear the Word of God; and that

5. We may start settling on the content for the Creation-Evolution mini-series to be aired live May 4-8, with Dr Tim Standish and me.

There are other pressing needs for prayer, but that will suffice for tonight. Oh, may God take control of all His people, resources, and institutions so the Gospel may be preached in all the world, and then the Lord will come!

Shabbat Shalom.

"This book of the law shall not depart from your mouth, but you shall meditate on it day and night, so that you may be careful to do according to all that is written in it; for then you will make your way prosperous, and then you will have success. Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous! Do not tremble or be dismayed, for the Lord your God is with you wherever you go."
Joshua 1:8, 9

No comments:

Post a Comment